The 49th Dunedin Festival of Photography is now open for entries!
Important dates to note: Closing Date: 11:59pm Tuesday 31 August Prints to be received in Dunedin by: Monday 6 September Selection Day: Saturday 18 September Exhibition Opening: Saturday 9 October, at the Dunedin Community Gallery, Princes St Exhibition: Sunday 10 – Friday 15 October
The Festival is open to all New Zealand residents and financial members of PSNZ affiliated camera clubs.
The results of our Projected Image Exhibition were shown at our most recent meeting – massive congratulations to Gary McClintock for producing the Champion images in both the Open and the Natural History categories! What a coup! Congratulations to everyone else for their accepted and awarded images, and many thanks to our judges Graham Dainty and Mike Boyd-Clark for their selections and appraisals. And lastly, thanks very much to our Projected Image Secretary, Melanie Dick, for putting the whole exhibition together, and for producing these slideshows to show our great results! Enjoy 🙂
The results of our second Projected Image Exhibition for 2020 were announced at the club meeting this week. For the first time, we used Zoom at a club meeting, so that one of our judges was able to present her comments ‘in person’, and it seemed to work really well. Watch this space for more Zoom visitors at meetings!
Congratulations to Stephanie Forrester APSNZ for her Champion Open Image Out of the Fog and to Simon Parsons for his Champion Natural History Image Albatross 1, and well done to everyone who had images accepted.
Thank you very much to our judges, Nicki Mora LPSNZ for the Natural History section, and Cushla Moorhead for the Open. We really appreciate the time they put into judging for us, and their thoughtful commentary.
The Nikon/NZIPP Iris Professional Photography Awards 2018 were judged a few weekends ago in Wellington. The judging of each category has been recorded and uploaded to YouTube at the link below. This is a fantastic opportunity to learn from professional work and judging. All categories require a physical print submission, there are no projected image categories.
Congratulations to DPS member Simone Jackson who was a finalist in the Nature category and received awards in others sections, including the image above from the Documentary category.
Note: The judging may not start until some time into the recording so fast forward to find the beginning.
Print Scoring Table:
95 – 100
Gold with Distinction
● Exceptional vision, creativity & innovation
● Exceptional visual communication & interpretation of
● High level of originality of thought/concept
● Invokes a superior emotional response
● Has an enduring quality
● Exceptional mastery in all areas of creative &
90 – 94
● Outstanding level of imagination & creativity
● Outstanding visual communication, interpretation of
subject &/or emotion
● Originality of thought/concept
● Outstanding mastery across all areas of technique, craft,
production & print quality
85 – 89
Silver with Distinction
● Excellent level of imagination & creativity
● Excellent visual communication, interpretation of subject
● Excellent level of technique, craft, production &
80 – 84
● High level of imagination &/or creativity
● High level of visual communication, interpretation of
subject &/or emotion
● Very high level of craft, skill and technique
70 – 79
● Very high standard of professional practice, craft, skill &
● Exceeds the normal level expected of professional
60 – 69
● Approaching award level
● Well executed, appropriate professional level of craft
● Good standard of professional practice – what a
professional is expected to produce day to day
50 – 59
● Does not yet exhibit the standards required of
● May show proficiency in some areas